Hi everybody - Hope you are doing well. I really REALLY miss you guys.
I'm over jet leg, which is good! I am doing okay here, just have a lot of changes and some humbling experiences. The weather is nice but the sun is so hot. It burns after about 20 minutes, you really can't be in the sun for very long, even with spf. I bought 50 spf for my face so I can still run in the mornings.
My house is HUGE and we have a giant pool in our neighborhood, but you really can't use it for very long b/c of the sun. I live with 2 girls from Michigan, 2 girls from Mexico, 1 girl from Indonesia and 1 girl from Sweden. My room is really big and has great windows, which I need b/c there is NO air conditioning in Sydney. Even in the mansion we're in, nada. Stores and churches have it but most people, even if they have a/c in their house, don't use it. Big tree huggers in Sydney, you have to bring your own shopping bags for groceries and are only allotted a certain amount of trash per week, which is not a lot. We snuck out last night after our neighbors were asleep and put trash in their bins at the curbs b/c they had room and we didn't for trash pick up today. Bugs here are a MAJOR issue, even if you're clean so keeping your trash for the next week is not an option at all!
I have a car but it's pretty old. 1988 Honda Civic hatch back. BUT, I found out today that the a/c works a little, which is HUGE b/c it's in the 90's and with the sun, it's almost unbearable to touch the steering wheel. I'm going to the beach tomorrow in it, can't wait. Driving on the left side, and in the right side of the car is a huge adjustment, especially b/c they drive very fast here, not like England (snails pace). And the wipers and blinkers are switched so I keep turning my wipers on instead of signalling left/right. :) But even though my car is crazy old, it's got good bones and everytime I start it, it works. But it's pretty funny to park my old car next to my neighbor's Mercedes.. :)
The heat and the grocery expense are doing wonders for weight loss, it's just like I can't be bothered to cook a lot. I'm still eating (don't worry about that) but it's mostly drinking water to stay cool and eating chicken.
The Yates (lived in Cincy) met me in Sydney on Saturday and took me to their favorite places, attached are a few pics.
I get my insurance and start orientation next week. This weekend is a conference for 25-35 year olds and there is a black and white ball that the church is throwing so I am going to get dressed up in a schmancy dress tomorrow night, should be fun.
Lots of changes here but nothing changes about how much I love you guys!!! And I miss you heaps.
No comments:
Post a Comment